Cloud Performance Training: What's in the Course¶
See the Course Calendar for upcoming offerings of this and other Joyent courses.
Text and Video¶
see also: DTrace
- Brendan Gregg's site
- Systems Performance: Enterprise and the Cloud by Brendan Gregg (covers SmartOS / illumos and Linux)
- Solaris Internals, Solaris Performance and Tools (books and wiki)
- Little Shop of Performance Horrors (video)
- LUN Alignment - An informal talk by Roch Bourbonnais.
- Performance: Experimentation: Brendan Gregg and Roch Bourbonnais share the thought process they use to troubleshoot system performance problems.
- Performance: The "Not a Problem"? Problem: Jim Mauro, Brendan Gregg, and Roch Bourbonnais discuss a type of performance issue that's very difficult to troubleshoot: the problem that isn't actually a problem.
- Performance Instrumentation Counters: An informal discussion among Roch Bourbonnais, Brendan Gregg, and Jim Mauro.
- Performance: Interrupts: Brendan Gregg, Jim Mauro, Roch Bourbonnais on a common performance issue: interrupts.
- Performance Analysis: new tools and concepts from the cloud: Brendan Gregg, Lead Performance Engineer, Joyent, speaks at SCALE 10x. full slide deck
- Performance Analysis Methodology - Brendan Gregg, USENIX LISA 2012
- Flame Graphs (original article by Brendan Gregg)
- source on GitHub
- Flame on: Graphing hot paths through X server code
- The Gregg Performance Series (videos): Tutorial videos about SmartOS performance tools: vmstat, mpstat, uptime.
- vfsstat(1m) – Report VFS read and write activity
- ziostat(1m) – Report ZFS read I/O activity
- zonestat(1) – report active zone statistics
- zonestatd(1m) – zones monitoring daemon