Joyent offers training!
Once you've downloaded a build, please read the Getting Started with SmartOS guide for information on getting up to speed quickly and refer to one of the following pages applicable to your preferred installation type:
- Creating a SmartOS Bootable USB Key
- SmartOS as a VMware Guest
- SmartOS as a Sandboxed VirtualBox Guest
- PXE Booting SmartOS
There is a new build, on average, every 2 weeks. SmartOS builds do not have a version number, rather they have a timestamp in the form: 20120809T221258Z (in this example, the date is: 08/09/2012 at 22:12:58 UTC)
For any given build, there will be 5 files available:
- platform-(timestamp).tgz: The raw kernel and boot_archive; this is most commonly used for PXE booting
- smartos-(timestamp).iso: Live Image ISO
- smartos-(timestamp)-usb.img.bz2: Live Image USB image (This is the preferred installation method)
- smartos-(timestamp).vmwarevm.tar.bz2: VMware Image (VMX Format)
- SINGLE_USER_ROOT_PASSWORD.(timestamp).txt: Contains the default root password for the live image (needed only when booting without mounting the zpool)
For a full list of changes in each build, please refer to the SmartOS Change Log.
SmartOS source is freely available and can be accessed on Github.
For more information on SmartOS Development, please refer to the SmartOS Developers Guide.